Monday, September 13, 2010

Who is James David Huff ???

If you are just joining, you should go back to the end of August and start at page 0001, we will wait for you along the way, it is easy to catch up.

Time to start catching up ourselves, on some pictures. This is the only picture I have of Momma, and to me she always looked like this.  Probably taken in 1958, I caught her napping on our living room sofa.


1032 Brown Avenue as it is now (2006)


This was my home for 19 years.  That little tree in the front yard was a towering Maple that was as tall as the house in 1960.  The front porch was not enclosed, but open to the breeze, rain, snow and sunshine.  Behind the parked car, the garage with access from the roof to a second floor window in the back bedroom (the one converted to a kitchenette).  The second floor window, on the left, over the porch roof, that was Mommas room.

And the dormer, two windows on top, the attic.  There were also windows on either end of the attic, but none in the rear.

The telephone pole by the curb had a street light on it, and to comfort me Momma would tell me that if anyone kidnapped me "when they got you out under the street light, they would let you go". 

To the left of the porch was a narrow walkway to the side door (right down to the basement, left up four steps to the kitchen) and the back yard.  Garbage men would go to the back yard for can as they knew Momma was old and I was little.  They even took the empty can back for us. 

On the front porch next to the door was our mailbox and under it our milk box.  The mailman came TWICE a day, six days a week and always knocked or rang the bell if he thought there was something important in Mommas mail.  In the summer he had time for iced tea, in the fall coffee or hot cocoa.  A bitter cold day in the winter might find him taking a few minutes to warm up in our hallway entrance.

The milk man came twice a week with, naturally, milk.  He also carried butter and eggs that we felt were to expensive when you could get them a nickle less at the corner store. 

I am about to turn five years old and we are going on a BIG adventure.  My birthday was October 10th.  The year 1949 and we were going to California.

Before we go, I want to tell you about the rest of my family.  Momma raised kids all her life.  Three of her own, two of her sisters kids (her sister died in childbirth) and me.  That is really three generations of children.  You will get to meet them briefly in page 0007 and know them much better as we journey along.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this alot.. i love the feeling of going back home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Thanks again for sharing this stuff.

    ReplyDelete