Sunday, December 12, 2010

KARA, TOGO, WEST AFRICA 014


Abby loves to pick flowers for Heidi and some of them actually survive the trip home.

On the road home.  This is one of the better roads.  They actually get worse as you get close to civilization.
We are headed to Codhani along the route Nationale 1 near Niamtougou, Togo.  This is the main highway North South in Togo.


Codhani is a cooperative of physically handicapped artisans.  It was created in 1977 to help those with physical disabilities in the village of Niamtougou. From the beginning when the cooperative manufactured soap to the present when they produce house wares, clothes for men and women as well as accessories such as wallets and purses.  All designs are created by the members themselves.  Outside the store was a group of UN volunteers offering shots and medical advice regarding malaria, aids, prenatal care and basic health information to the locals.
As a child in the Methodist Church I used to collect for UNICEF at Halloween time.  This is the first that I saw where these monies went.  He was very proud to be able to help his people this way.  There is so much need in Togo that anyone can contribute something to help.  The people are wonderfully respectful and thankful for even the smallest offering.  Digging a well, building a neighborhood toilet and shower, filling holes in the dirt roads, and it goes on and on......  With each act comes the opportunity to be a witness for Jesus.  Demonstrating the love of God with action and deeds. 

Matt 25:34-40

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment