Saturday, December 11, 2010

KARA, TOGO, WEST AFRICA 003



Have to have pictures of local post office
BTW you can ride as passenger on local mail truck from one town to another.  Kind of like mailing yourself.



Every day was an adventure.  I had forgotten what it was like to be in a "third world country".  While we have so much, they have found how to be thankful for what they have.  We could learn so much from those who seem to have so little.  Not since Vietnam have I seen so many with so little content with their lot in life.  Hard work, a simple acceptance of life and an open heart and mind.  Respect!!!!  Those of you who know me, know how important respect is to me.  I give it and expect it.  In Togo, respect is natural.  How you shake hands with someone, eye contact, even acknowledging someone as you pass on the road is important and "respect" is shown.  Believe it or not, just being OLD is a reason for respect. 

With seven children and 20 grand children I know a happy baby when I see one and Annabelle is one happy baby.  She wakes up smiling and goes to sleep the same way.  What an inspiration.


Most every night had some table games with family and was able to watch Shane and Jon interact as brothers, playing darts or trying to out do each other in push ups or listen to them discuss scriptures.  What a blessing.  And, all of this time, amazed by the wonderful wife and children God has blessed my youngest son with.  It seems like Heidi's parents raised her specifically to be the wife of my missionary son.  God is so good, or as they say in French "Dieu es bon".

Tomorrow we go on "Safari" to a park not far from home. 

See you then

1 comment: