Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Church

Sunday morning service at Tchandida.  This is where I will be attending for the next seven months.  Service is in French translated to Kabiye or, with Jon gone, in Kabiye.


Early Service

eager to preach

 You would love the singing.  Have you ever been in a church where you knew the Spirit of God was there.  I know, every Sunday at your church.  Sometimes you feel His presence more acutely, at least I do.
Jon's message was the last of a seventy part series that was outlined by New Tribes Missions for teaching those who have not had the opportunity to know the Bible.  Starting with creation it ends with the ascension of the Lord and His promised return. This message was about an hour long with time for questions during the last half.  It was exciting to hear  the participation of many in the church.
 After the service there was a feeding of the 75 plus people who were there.  Rice (lots of rice) pasta, sauce and fish was the meal.  Kool aid and local well water was available.
Jon made sure that I had the HEAD of the fish as my special portion.  Not much meat on the head and I admit I left some on my plate.  My primary doctor at the VA would be disappointed to know that I am drinking local village well water. (Please don't tell her)
 This was my dining partner.  I always find a way to sit next to the pretty ladies.  Last night I had the opportunity to hold a little boy about two years old while his mother loaded food in the back of Jon's truck.  The little fella took one look at my white face and cried until his mother got back in the truck and rescued him.
 After church Jon and Tscha and I walked about a mile back to a smaller village where they have had a problem with a well.  Seems like four years ago a small child fell in and drowned.  No wall around well, just a hole in the ground.
 They built a wall about 18" high and everything was fine until another child fell in and drowned.  They have asked that a cover be made and put over the well.  A welder/metal worker and carpenter will be consulted to find out how much it will cost to accomplish this.  A lot of missions is to provide some much needed physical help along with the spiritual.
 While we were checking out the well, a woman came to draw water.  A canvas bag with a cord made from a tire is dropped into the well and the water is taken about a gallon at a time.  So much of life here is like it was in Biblical times.  How could you not think of the woman at the well......?
About half way back from the well you could see the church building in the distance.  (center of picture)
 One of the church members makes baskets for a living.  This is a beautiful woven basket that he wanted 2.00 USD for.  His workmanship is excellent and it is now my laundry basket in the corner of my bedroom.
Had to include free range chickens for Shane.  One of the ladies spilled a few grains of rice in cooking for the dinner and the chickens went wild for it.
When we got back to Jon's house we were greeted by a little viper.  Not sure what its name is, but it is supposed to be poisonous.

Another missionary family Jimmy and Adie White came over with a young lady visiting them from Mongo area and brought homemade pizza and a salad.  It was delicious.  So far I have only lost one of the twenty pounds targeted.

The Mongo area is seeing quite a few Muslims converted.  It is exciting and fearful as they often suffer persecution from their own families when they accept Christ and especially when they get baptized.  Looking forward to possibly going north later this year for a week or two to help on hospital construction, or at least for a few days to see the work there.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, how could you not think of the women at the well. So blessed by this post. As for the chicken picture.. You are right, Shane will like it. We now have this site on our "favorites" I caught Shane reading your blogs last night.. He said "They're really good" I replied.. DUH! Ha!!! I love you, Aubrey is now going to begin reading them as she is sitting here saying she wants to. Miss you much~ Good work on the pound. 19 more.

    ReplyDelete