Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Before Noon


Slept well – no dreams – awake at 0500 up at 0530 and on the beach by 0615  Beautiful surf rolling in and sun already high in sky.  Did not go out to look for meteor shower last night and unless it is going on when I leave restaurant for room will miss it tonight. 
Sightseeing in morning traffic was unintentional.  Realized as I passed US Embassy that I ws too far North and needed to u-turn to get back to Toyota dealership.  Msg. Jerome FLEGEAU was as always most helpful and immediately took charge of seeing to replacement of LF headlight, right side mirror and balancing of front tires.  He said it would be done before noon, and it was. He offered his driver to take me where I wanted to go but I elected to walk around.  When I mentioned that I was looking for breakfast he mentioned that while looking at my blog he noticed that I ate native food and suggested a couple of places I might like.  (Ah ha) So that is how he knew I needed left rear window.  He was following my posts on blog.  I am honored.
Left Toyota dealership and walked to Hotel Eda-Oba for buffet style petit déjeuner. 6500 francs CFA is a little steep but worth it for the comfort and atmosphere of quiet and A/C and view of Boulefard and good STRONG coffee.  Omelet natural, Vienna like sausage that tastes like “potted meat” and small fried yams that reminds me of sweet potatoes.  Good STRONG coffee. 
Back on the Boulevard Eyadema and headed North.  Off on side street and the adventure goes onward.  Part of the mystique is that I am a stranger in a strange land and we do not speak each others language.  Still, we communicate.  Will spend the next hour wandering side streets and alleyways, small shops, stalls and street venders. Everything from soup to nuts, figuratively and literally.  Young boy on a bicycle that is to big for him launches himself from a doorway on my left into oncoming traffic and wobbles unsteadily two city blocks to a side street and safety. 
I cross abandoned railroad tracks and am in poorer section of town.  Strange to see ninety thousand dollar land rover pull up and discharge two five or six year old blond boys (Aryan?) at what maybe a day care center while on the other side of this dirt alley way several men work on moto bikes outside of their garage.  A juxtaposition if there is such a word…. 
Following the railroad tracks on to the main boulevard I pass the neighbor hood Pharmacie Forever and the New Harlem Forever Bar.and come upon a sign advertising AGAPE-TOGO featuring Snacks Boulangerie and Patisserie.  Now the snacks and boulangerie I can walk on by.  But, the Patisserie warrant further investigation.  “Center de formaction professionnelle an boulaingerie-patisserie” claims the sign on the door. 
Just inside is a table with six or eight pastries each in plastic bags.  They are fresh this morning and the young lady says 1000 francs each bag..  I buy all eight and give her a 10,000 franc bill.  Thank you, she says.  Says I Hello 8X1 from 10 means you owe me 2.  She counts the bags, nods yes and says she owes me two.  Got to admit, it was worth a try on her part……
On to the Toyota dealership while fending off taxie drivers who are sure that I need their services.  Truck is not quite ready, so I walk next door to have a couple of Indian Tonic’s while waiting.  Notice a Togolese Army man having lunch and then heading to CAFO dealer.  I leave and go down another alleyway looking for a barber who’s sign says 50 meters that way.  Two hundred meters later make a right  another two hundred another two hundred another right and another two hundred back at dealer.  No barber, no haircut. 
Still a few minutes before vehicle ready. While waiting at service area soldier approaches we greet and he points to my Kobalt folding blade in sheath on my belt.  I give him knife and then take sheath off belt and give him knife.  This boggles his mind.  When I show him my challenge coin (Sergeant of Marines) and tell him knife is a gift from one Sergeant to another, he becomes instant friend.  He is Sergeant Chef Sizing Eyo------ and his writing will have to wait for interpretation but he knows my friend Sgt. Gabriel and promises to call me when he next visits Kara.  Mr. Flegeau comments that it appears that I have made another friend, presents me with bill for work on truck, invites me to Marine Corps Birthday celebration next month at embassy and takes Jon’s generator to have a friend of his check it out tomorrow. 
You know for someone who does not speak the language my God interprets very well on my behalf. ALL B4 NOON.

1 comment:

  1. Our God is like that.. leading and providing. Glad you are enjoying the beach... Beautiful!!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete