Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Getting out of town


Having finished early at the Toyota dealer, I went to the "SuperMach" to do some grocery shopping.  Got in the store at 12:20 just as they dimmed the lights to tell everyone that it was time to close for midday "break".
Six tangerines five onions and two chocolate bars was all the shopping I got done.
thought I would run by the American Embassy (did not know they moved) but could not find it.

Typical Togo traffic, just a little more than Kara.  Enough, time to find my way back to the road to Kpalime.  Let me see,  go down here turn left, no left turn, or, here I can turn left......
WOW Vehiclespedestriansandvendorsalloccupythesamespace.  Someone left a taxi in the middle of this and I had less than four inches clearance between the truck and it on one side and the vendors actually had to pull some merchandise back from the front of their stores so I and those following me could get by.
I love a challenge.  Once I got out, I went around the main part of Lome three times and could not get to the road I came in on.  Finally found by following a taxi and another vehicle down an alley and across a back street, the connection to the road I wanted.  i think.  o.k. this looks kinda familiar.  (pulls into Total Gas Station)  "Bon Jour" (point down road in direction I am going) Kpalime? (receive affirmative nod and "Kpalime" in response) 
Now this is familiar.  Back thru Kpalime and to end of good road and ten kilometers of bad road and left turn at Adeda and 3.5k to Tsiko.   Yea me.
Welcome guest house at the ABWE Baptist Hospital at Tsiko.  This will be my haven for Friday and Saturday night.  even though the Media Center and bookstore were closed they allowed me to buy a case of Hymnals and Saturday they opened again for me to purchase some coloring books, childrens Bibles and other material we may be able to use for Awana program at church.  These people are an oasis for pilgrims in a strange land.
this was the view from the front porch of my room.  Up those steps and to the left is the dining hall and good food with good fellowship.  I could write several pages on the conversations and fellowship I experienced in forty hours here.  Rested and refreshed, I left Sunday morning for the youth conference in Kpalime.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are loving your time in Togo, I knew you would. You will forever be able to relate to our lives and ministries there too having spent so much time around the people and the culture. We thank God for the ABWE hospital at Tsiko and for all of the great people who have such a fantastic ministry there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't videoing while driving around Lomé I'm sure :) I never care to drive there - even being a passenger scares me at times, but so glad you enjoyed your adventure. We are so thankful or the ABWE hospital and always enjoy our stays there. So glad this worked out for you to spend a couple nights and enjoy some good food and conversation.

    ReplyDelete