Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lome Adventure

Now it was my turn.  The hotel I stayed at the first night was in Kpalime where the youth conference was.

Named Chez Fanny, it turned out to be excellent by anyone's standards.  Clean, neat and well furnished.

The large double bed was very comfortable.
The room was so well ventilated that I did not need the air conditioner, only the ceiling fan.
If you look closely on the dresser you will see both a battery lantern and a candle with a box of matches.  Another sign of a well appointed room in Togo.

Thought I would go for a little drive before settling down for the night and headed out of town for a ten kilometer ride.  Wound up going fifteen before I  found a convenient place to turn around.  Saw a white couple and a Togolese man by side of road and stopped to talk.  The young couple were on holiday from Spain and the Togolese man was their tour guide.  I gave them a ride back to Kpalime and a gift shop they were going to.  Exchanged cards with the tour guide, Gregoire K. DOM, and learned that the young couple were staying at the same hotel I was.  Leaving them at the gift shop, I returned to Chez Fanny.

Next order of business was diner.  I pointed to the menu and said mixed salad, then covering the word Avocado I pointed to the words "vinaigrette dressing" to indicate that was what I wanted on my mixed salad.
Nodding her head and saying "we" she left and returned with my mixed salad AND the avocado salad with the vinaigrette dressing.  Naturally I ate both and they were good (even the avocado).
Before my entree arrived, Josep and Alba joined me for diner. While they spoke no French, their English was very good.  We had a most enjoyable meal and talked of music, travel and history.  They were excellent diner companions and I am thankful that God put them in my path.
Since they drew a promise of my calling on them if I ever get to Barcelona, I must consider a trip to Spain and perhaps Germany and Greece and .........
Not about to rule out any adventure.
Next morning was an excellent breakfast before "hitting the road".
Even the coffee has extra flavor in a foreign land.
Typical of Togo, everything carries extra.
Jon, this one is for you.  Do you see what is not there?  
Got to put a plug in for the people at CFAO Motors.  Especially Jerome FLEGEAU, who is responsible for parts and service.  I arrived at 10:55 am and was introduced to him by a salesman named James.  Mr. FLEGEAU speaks wonderful English and personally saw to it that the fuel filter was replaced, an extra filter provided and all in twenty minutes.  Then, as a courtesy, they cleaned the truck inside and out.  In less than an hour I was back on the road.
Hello.  Anyone in Togo needs Toyota, Citroen, Yamaha, Bridgestone, or Massey Ferguson product or service, this is the place to go.  Jon, when you get ready to trade this truck, you have to talk to James.... I'm just saying.

Any way, I love how my God not only opens doors but makes the way smooth.  Now we see how I "get out of town".

1 comment:

  1. If you are staying the night or needing a place to eat while in Kpalimé, Chez Fanny is the place to go to. Glad to see the gas light is finally off too. Thanks for taking care of that. Funny that you were videotaping the taxi while passing him!

    ReplyDelete