Friday, August 31, 2012

odds and ends

Just a bunch of guys, showing off for the girls (who do not seem to be too impressed) like they do anywhere.

Wonder if these guys will be around come Thanksgiving?????
Missed opportunity....  Some one has nine million dollars in US $$$$$ and needs my help to get it.   If only I was not so cynical.........
  1. cyn·i·cal/ˈsinikəl/

    Adjective:
    1. Believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
    2. Doubtful as to whether something will happen or is worthwhile.
Again, blogspot did not get the picture right, but i did get the boxes (with postal damage)  Lost one dvd (smunched) and had some bent aluminum.   Bibles came through fine and so did bag for motobike.  Next box on the way.  Make that two on the way.  Yea, me.  reminds me of looking for a box from Brenda when I was in Vietnam.
For Easter, Brenda sent me a box of chocolate covered pop corn.  After we were married I thought of it again and told her how much I enjoyed it.  Then asked; "What made you think of chocolate covered pop corn?"  She replied; "I never sent you chocolate covered popcorn.  I sent a chocolate Easter bunny and packed it in pop corn to keep it safe."  110 degrees in the shade for two weeks rendered it unrecognizable but eatable. (did explain the little candy flowers in the middle of the mess).....  Still enjoy getting a care package.
twenty sets of flash cards for English class.  initially there are 51 cards in each set.  will add to it as new sounds are learned.  Ask me about the ng sound as in ing, ong, ang, and ung.  I can tell you all about it.  My English teacher in Junior High (and Senior) could not get me to learn what I am learning to teach now.....  Miss Reed, I am sorry I did not pay attention in class.
Some of the ladies in the market get creative in displaying what they have for sale.  Instead of a basket or bag, like we are used to, each stack is a unit of sale.  These are real oranges without being painted or dyed.  They even taste better.  Bananas are tree ripened, not shipped green and gassed to turn them yellow for the US market.  Bought a slice of pineapple (raw) to eat as i walked through the market. (200 francs = $.40)  Two bite into it and it slipped through my fingers and fell on the ground.  remembering the four second rule for dirt, I scooped it up quickly.  Spent 25 francs ($.05 cents) for a plastic bag of water.  Rinsed it off, finished eating and had enough water left over to wash my hands.  Did I mention that I love this place???

Electrician called that the wire we ordered had arrived.  I went to town to pick it up (by myself) and needed 300 meters of four conductors  in one piece.  100 meters is a foot ball field in length.  They took one end of the bundle and ran down the street with a tape measure. First 100.  bend in wire and carry double down till first end back at start and repeat carrying three down till bend back at start.  Make sense?  Trust me it does work.  Knocked over wheel barrow and tangled in two moto-bikes....... added about three meters and cut the wire.
Bought ten poles like these
and electrician strung wire to Bertine's house.   Yea, she has electricity now.  This is exciting, as she is a very hard working helper in the ministry here and has been on the waiting list for electricity for months.

What would any tale be without food????  Noelle, I think I found the ten pounds I lost.

Note:  (by myself) means I had no interpreter or anyone who knew me with me.  I throw that in to impress     those who understand that I am in a foreign nation that speaks French and local dialects, not English and I can survive.....

1 comment:

  1. The post before this one shows the young man going back and forth with a bucket and I wondered if there where wheelbarrows?! But then I see on this post that when they were getting the wire ready they knocked a wheelbarrow over. I understand the people like to work and they a great job.. but couldn't they use a wheelbarrow? Just a thought. And oh how I wanna come visit. Your breakfast.. being feed physically and most importantly spiritually. Really glad that God has you right where you are even if I miss ya! The dog is a cutie.. will he be Thanksgiving dinner? Sorry about the damaged box. Bent stuff eh? are you talking about the tablet? Anywho, thank you for posting these and keeping us up to date. It is a joy being apart of your world~ Oh and thanks for the 24 Hour Tree Service Inc. 813-431-1627 call Shane for free bids little pull! (tee hee) LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete